I think most of us would agree that 2020 pretty much sucked.
It feels to me as if the whole world, including little ‘ole me, has been traumatized by the events of the past twelve months. I bet the whole damn planet is experiencing complex post-traumatic stress. Even worse is that it’s not even POST! It’s ongoing.
Nevertheless, being an eternal optimist, I’m grateful for a bunch of things as I head into a fresh new year. Here are some of them:
1. I’m grateful 2020 is over. Rest in peace old year.
2. I’m grateful I’m no longer involved in an emotionally abusive relationship.
3. I’m grateful for the lessons I learned from living through 2) above.
4. I’m grateful to faraway friends worldwide who so generously support me, and who also welcome my support in times of trouble and need. You mean so much to me.
5. I’m grateful for old close friends, and newer friendships still in their infancy, and I look forward to deepening both the old and the new in 2021. Thank you.
6. I’m grateful for the community and the country in which I live. I love them both.
7. I’m grateful for poetry, especially rhyming poetry, and for the joy the writing of it brings me (and sometimes not LOL!).
8. I’m grateful that I’m able to reflect and to continually grow my self awareness for my personal benefit and the benefit of those around me.
9. I’m grateful that I have always been and that I remain committed to engaging with others honestly, openly, and whole heartedly, and that in so doing I am helping to make the world a better place.
10. I’m grateful I am learning to create better boundaries that will serve me and others in healthier and more constructive ways.
12. I’m grateful for knowing I will rediscover myself and I will be stronger, wiser and more joyful in the next twelve months than I have been in the last.
13. I’m grateful I finally changed my name tin 2020, and that the change will be fully implemented in 2021.
14. I’m grateful I am learning to take better care of myself, and to put my own needs closer to the top of the list, if not in the #1 slot!
16. I’m grateful for all the things I learned in 2020 about relationships, cults, and narcissism.
17. I’m grateful I learned I should listen more closely and more carefully to my body and my intuition, and that I found a quilted heart in 2020.
18. I’m grateful I learned more about grief and loss and liminal space.
19. I’m grateful for the ability to breathe and the knowledge that every breath I take has meaning.
20. I’m grateful knowing I will recreate new meaning and purpose in my life in 2021, and I’m grateful for all the things I’ve been grateful for in the past.
21. I’m grateful for knowing everything will be alright eventually in the end. And if it’s not alright, then it’s not the end.
© 2020 Susan Macaulay. I invite you to share my posts widely, but please do not reprint, reblog or copy and paste them in their entirety without my permission. Thank you.